How to become a photographer
Pathways to this career
- Complete a photography course. Choose from undergraduate degrees, vocational certificates, mentorships and private courses.
- Create and maintain a portfolio. This is your opportunity to showcase your skills, creativity and abilities. You will need a printed and digital portfolio whenever applying for work.
- Promote yourself. Photography is competitive, so don't be backward in coming forward. Show off your style on social media; network with like-minded people, and reach potential clients by developing your own website to showcase your work.
What does a photographer do?Being a photographer is about much more than snapping pictures. Some photographers freelance for magazines and newspapers, or they’re employed full-time with these companies. Others run their own studios. Photographers may specialise in certain types of photography such as photojournalism, commercial photography, or weddings.
Duties and tasks
- Capture and process images.
- Communicate with clients to truly understand their needs.
- Create final digital files or print images.
- Network and advertise to find new clients.
- Perform administrative jobs such as billing when necessary.
- Prep areas for photo shoots, disassemble these areas when finished.
- Australian Institute of Professional Photography
- Media Entertainment & Arts Alliance
- The Creative Industry Skills Council
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.