CHCPR509A - Gather, Interpret and Use Information About Children
Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
To enrol in this unit, you must be accepted into a course from the provider.
Read before you start
Level of study: What does Vocational Education, Training mean?
Vocational Education, Training
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Government loans available:
VET FEE-HELP VET FEE-HELP
Domestic student fee:
International student fee:
This unit describes the knowledge and skills required to collect high quality information on children to assist in program planning.
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- gather and document detailed information about the child
- monitor children's developmental progress and develop understanding of individual children
- use information from observations with others
- use information to plan the program
- design observation systems with others.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||Gather information and observations according to a child's emerging skills.|
|2||Gather detailed information about children and document using a variety of appropriate methods.|
|3||Ensure information and observations collected are valid, representative, significant and relevant;|
|4||Make series of observations to address all aspects of development over a period of time and in a variety of situations|
|5||Consult physical abilities and emotional status|
|6||Interpret information and observations to identify individual emerging skills, capabilities, potential, interests, preferences of children|
|7||Demonstrate quality observation practices to other workers|
|8||Provide information to others to inform program planning, support children's play and evaluate programs|
|9||Use records of observations to provide feedback to children about their skills and competence and promote remembering|
|10||Make time available to share information with parents|
|11||Follow up any concerns regarding child's development with appropriate persons/services|
|12||Use information to consider all aspects of child's development and cater appropriately within the program|
|13||Use the information to plan opportunities and experiences to foster development of the child|
|14||Develop systematic ways of observing children to ensure all children are included|
|15||Develop systematic ways of observing children to ensure that all interpretations of behaviour can be clearly linked to evidence|
|16||Clearly link observation systems developed to program planning and evaluation processes|
|17||Implement processes to ensure appropriate access by others to observation information|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
Textbook information for this unit is currently being updated and will be available soon. Please check back regularly for updates. Alternatively, visit the Unibooks website and enter the unit details to search for available textbooks.
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.