Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) 2014

Do you want to help children develop essential learning skills that can shape their lives? The Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Education) will deliver the online university degree to meet your goals. Teacher education and childcare studies can lead to a meaningful and enduring career for people with a natural affinity and interest in children's growth. This online degree in gives you the ability to make informed decisions about teaching and learning, managing learning environments and implementing a range of educational practices.

If you are interested in studying this course, add it to your Favourite Courses, where you can manage any course applications.

Get your questions answered

  • Is online study right for me?
  • Why OUA?
  • What should I study?
  • How does it work?
  • How do I enrol?

Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.

Find out more


Please note: This course has recently undergone a major change. Please refer to Transition Arrangements for more information.

Level of study: What does Undergraduate mean?


Number of units: What are units?

29 units

How to enrol

  1. With the exception of eight open enrolment first year units, this is a restricted course. Continuing enrolment is only available to students who have been accepted into this course.
  2. Commonwealth Supported Places offered (HECS-HELP)
  3. What is CSP?
Check CSP eligibility
How to apply for CSP

Units in this course

View Units

The Bachelor of Education (ECE) prepares graduates to work with children aged 0 – 8 years in a variety of settings. This includes early learning centres, kindergartens and pre-schools, as well as school settings. Practical experience will encompass each of these settings and will culminate in a 10-week block internship.

Career Outcomes

After registration, graduates will have the skills, knowledge and experience required to teach in early childhood education. Additional careers include Child Care Coordinator, education administrator or policy development officer.

Award Requirements

Students must complete all units. There are 29 units in the Bachelor of Education (ECE). These are comprised of:

  • coursework units
  • units requiring professional experience block placements in a variety of settings, including a final internship placement of 50 consecutive days in a school context
  • elective units
  • Students must successfully complete all required units in the degree prior to undertaking the Internship

Please note that students can be terminated from this course if they fail to make satisfactory progress.

Recognition of Prior Learning / Credit

Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL)

Credit is assessed on an individual basis. Students may apply for credit (CRL) towards the degree for previous studies successfully completed at other institutions. Students must lodge their completed CRL application, along with necessary documentation, when they apply for a place in the BEd (ECE) course. Scanned coloured copies of all official transcripts and other documentation, eg. unit outlines/syllabus, must be provided at this time. For forms and further information, please visit

Recommended Study Pattern

Students are expected to complete all the units in each year of the course before progressing to the units of the subsequent year. For example, all first year units should be completed prior to enrolling in a second year unit. Students must complete any prerequisite units required. The standard full-time study load is two units per study period.

Students must complete all first, second and third year core units prior to enrolling in any fourth year units.

All core and elective units must be completed before enrolling in the Internship and all students will need specific clearance from Curtin University’s School of Education prior to enrolment in this unit.

Course Admission Eligibility Criteria

In order to be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place, students must meet the following requirements:

  • 4 OUA Undergraduate units at pass level OR equivalent OR 2 units plus English AND the restricted criteria (please ensure you have read the restricted criteria in the Course Requirements tab)

Course Objectives

On completion of the course students will be able to:

  • Make informed decisions regarding teaching and learning based on a comprehensive understanding of the learner and curriculum in a 0-8 years of age context
  • Reflect, create and manage learning environments and be self-motivated and critical in the approach to teaching learning
  • Plan, implement, analyse and evaluate a range of teaching, learning and assessment practices


With the exception of eight open first year units, this is a restricted course. Continuing enrolment is only available to students who have been accepted into this course. Please refer to Application Process for more information.

Students must satisfy the following requirements in order to be eligible for entry into the degree:

  • Academic
  • English Language Competence
  • Police Clearance/Working with Children (WWC)
  • Availability for Practicum Placements as required

Academic Requirements

Applicants have a choice of two academic entrance pathways into this course:

1. Tertiary Entrance Ranking (TER or A TA R) entrance

Tertiary Entrance Ranking 70 (TER, ATAR, ENTER, UAI, OP or equivalent). Students must have a 50% minimum in ER English (or equivalent).

2. Alternative academic entrance

a) Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)

You must achieve a minimum of 145 in all sections of the STAT (Multiple Choice and Written English) to gain entry to the course.

b) Successful study through OUA – either:

  • Completion of two of the eight OUA open enrolment units: EDC151, EDC161, EDC131, EDC101, EDC155, EDC141, EDC171, and EDC111 and separate English language competency is needed.


  • Completion of four OUA units at pass level. (This satisfies English language competency requirement.)

c) Tertiary Study

Successful completion of a full semester (four standard units) towards an undergraduate degree at an Australian university and English language competency is not needed.

d) Enabling courses

Enabling courses completed through other Australian Universities which meet minimum entry requirements for that institution will be accepted as minimum entry requirements for this course.


On completion of certain TAFE studies (or equivalent study recognised by the Australian Qualifications Framework – AQF), matriculation status may be granted and a Tertiary Entrance Rank (TER) may be assigned. The minimum entry requirements for TAFE students are:

Diploma, Associate Diploma or Advanced Diploma (no additional English competency needed)

Certificate IV + English competency

Note – Certificate II or III are not acceptable

English language competency

Applicants need to meet Curtin's English Language requirement:

  • TER or ATAR - A minimum Tertiary Entrance Ranking (TER or ATAR) score of 50% for English (or equivalent).
  • Successful completion of one semester of full time study of a recognised Bachelor degree course at an Australian university
  • IELTS competency level 7.0 (compulsory for international students)

How to Apply

With the exception of eight open enrolment first year units, this is a restricted course. Continuing enrolment is only available to students who have been accepted into this degree. Students are required to apply and be approved by Curtin University before they can enrol in restricted units through OUA.

Applicants for admission must be able to commit to the block placements that are integral to the degree in the second, third and fourth years of the course. Placements must be undertaken in a school in which English is the language of instruction, either in Australia or overseas and all placements must be completed in an unbroken block period of varying lengths according to the unit requirements.

Applications for Bachelor of Education (ECE) are due 2 weeks prior to the close of enrolment.

Before you start:

  1. Read information requirements

    • Select to apply for one or more courses listed on the application form, taking note of the eligibility criteria for each course. If you want to apply for a (restricted) course with a different university, you'll need to submit a separate application from the relevant course page.

    • Read all parts of the application form in advance:

      Receive a faster response by ensuring you have all the required information ready before you start. If you have a web account, sign in first to pre-fill personal details we already have for you on record.

      If you do not have a web account, you'll need to register one within the application form. Once you've registered an account, you'll then be signed in. From here you can choose to complete your application and submit it, or save and return to it later.

      Completing this application should take 15 to 20 minutes.

    • Need help completing your application? Contact us:

      If in doubt about any of the information required to support your application, the more information you can provide the better. If you have any academic queries including how to request credit transfer, contact Curtin University directly. For all other enquiries, contact us.

    • Next steps:

      After submitting your application, you should receive a confirmation email containing a copy of your application for your records.

      Your application will be assessed within 2-4 weeks, and if further information is required, we will contact you. Once your application has been assessed, we will be in touch via email to notify you of the outcome. At the latest this will be one week after the closing date for applications.

      If, after submitting your application, you wish to change your preferences or submit an additional document, please email Include your full name as it appeared on the application.

  2. Prepare supporting documents

    • Check that you have all the required supporting documentation, according to the individual course eligibility requirements and to your personal circumstances:

      1. Colour scans of original academic documentation (in support of eligibility requirements), including:
        • Official Academic transcripts:
          • Showing the units/subjects you have completed and their final grades, including the date the program was completed, or the qualification awarded
          • Grading Key of grades/results (usually on the reverse of the transcripts)
          • Include all pages, ensuring page numbers are visible
        • Academic Testamur or Certificate of Completion

        Unofficial copies will not be accepted.

        Required for all applications based on academic experience and for all academic experience listed on the application form.

      2. Colour scans of original legal documentation, including:
        • Marriage certificate
        • Deed poll name change certificate

        Required to show your legal name or if you have changed your name.

        Please ensure your legal name is on your application form and matches your documentation.

      3. Colour scans of original official translations of supporting documents not in English. Required for:
        • All academic documentation, e.g. transcripts and certificates
        • All legal documentation, e.g. marriage, deed poll and birth certificates

        If any academic or legal document is not in English, you must provide a colour scan of the non-English documents, including a colour scan of the official English translations of these documents. This is for comparison purposes.

      4. Colour scans of original English language test results, such as IELTS or TOEFL.

        Required if your previous studies were not completed in English.

      5. Your Curriculum Vitae. Required for:
        • Entry into all postgraduate courses
        • All applications based on work experience
      6. A letter of reference or recommendation from your employer, required for all applications based on work experience

        This letter must be on company letterhead, documenting length of time working for that company and duties performed.

        If you are providing documentation to support work experience for a period of time, and you have worked for multiple employers over that period, please provide a letter of reference for each separate employer.

      Please provide scanned copies of all original academic and legal documents. Only include supporting documentation if you have undertaken studies/qualifications at institutions other than OUA or Curtin University. This application will become the property of Open Universities Australia and Curtin University and will not be returned. Applications will only be considered if academic records/transcripts for all courses attempted or completed are included along with the certificate of award conferred.

    • Requirements of scanned documents:

      1. Documents must be scanned from the original documents. Scans from a photocopy, a certified copy or a faxed copy are not acceptable.
      2. Documents must be scanned in colour.
      3. Applicants must ensure no portion of the document is missing (look out for page numbers).
      4. Documents must be scanned at the original size. If the document is larger than A4 then the document should be scanned in A4 sized portions without size reduction.
      5. If the document has markings or text on both sides e.g. a registration number then both sides must be scanned.
      6. Documents must be scanned in the following format:
        .pdf .doc .xlsx .rpt
        .rtf .docx .tif .bmp
        .txt .xls .jpg
      7. Scanned documents must be between 125 and 150 dots per inch.
      8. File size of any single document should not exceed 3MB.

To submit your application, please choose from the following:

General applications (including FEE-HELP)

General applications (including applying with FEE-HELP), please click the button below:

Apply online

Alternatively, you can download, print and email/fax your application:

Curtin_Undergraduate_Application_Form (PDF, 118 KB)


Commonwealth supported place applications (including HECS-HELP)

Commonwealth supported place students (including applying with HECS-HELP), please click the button below:

Apply online

To learn more about Commonwealth supported places, please see Commonwealth supported places or call 1300 322 870.

Open Enrolment Units

There are eight open enrolment units in this course. Students do not have to submit an Application Form for open enrolment units, and can enrol in EDC151, EDC161, EDC131, EDC101, EDC155, EDC141, EDC171 and EDC111 through Open Universities Australia.

Students who successfully complete two from these eight open enrolment units may apply under the Academic Eligibility category for admission to the restricted Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Education) program provided they have satisfied other eligibility criteria. Please read Planning your application (PDF, 27 KB).

Open enrolment units as electives

Students who do not satisfy all of the Eligibility requirements for this degree, or students who do not intend to apply for admission to this degree, may study the Open enrolment units as electives. Please refer to the Award Requirements or Electives sections on your degree page for information about the maximum number of level 1 electives you may include in your degree.

Practicum Placements

Students are required to complete units containing professional experience within an early learning centre or school. Applicants must be able to obtain a Police Clearance and Working With Children (WWC) Check prior to undertaking any units which require placement in a school or early learning centre on a volunteer or scheduled basis. Students will be required to complete 105 days of placements during the course.

All students are required to complete compulsory professional experience placements as part of designated units in the second, third and fourth year of the course. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis for the number of days shown and students need to plan carefully to ensure they are able to meet this commitment. There is a total of 105 days of professional experience in the course, which satisfies all states' requirements for teacher registration.

Students require access to one accredited Early Learning Centre with infants and toddlers (birth-2 years of age) and three schools in which to undertake the professional experience placements (and be able to travel to these educational settings). The language of instruction must be English.

In those circumstances where the student is having difficulty securing a placement, Curtin University staff will assist and will seek input from the student to identify possibilities before making direct contact with the school or centre. Students having difficulty should contact Curtin in sufficient time to ensure that they are not disadvantaged due to their personal inability to identify a site for professional experience.

The professional experience placements and final internship can take place in a student's own state or territory, with the approval of Curtin University. Students are not required to attend Curtin University's Perth Campus for any face-to-face study or professional experience placement.

Further information about the professional experience placement requirements will be provided to students who have been admitted to the degree. Students who may seek to vary any of the stated conditions and requirements in the various professional experience unit handbooks must contact the relevant unit co-ordinator prior to enrolling in the unit.

The final placement of 50 consecutive days (1 full school term) is the final unit in the degree and cannot be undertaken until all other units have been completed. Clearance will be given to enrol in the internship unit pending results of final units. Clearance will not be provided until students have provided evidence of having passed the mandatory Literacy and Mathematical Competency tests. These compulsory tests will be offered to students within specific units through the Pearson My Education Lab materials. The charge for these materials will be approximately $35 for MyWritingLab and $60 for MyMathTest.

Professional Recognition

Graduates will be eligible for registration with the Teacher Registration Board Western Australia (TRBWA). Registration is recognised by all national teacher accreditation authorities. However, it is the responsibility of graduates to ensure they consult with the regulatory body in the state they wish to register as a qualified educator regarding registration requirements.

Special Requirements

Working with Children Check and Police Clearance

A Working with Children Check and Police Clearance (as required in the state or country of residence) is compulsory.

Due to the specialist nature of the teaching profession, and the practicum placement component of this course, all successful applicants will be required to complete a Working with Children Check and Police Clearance before engaging in any observation or practicum placement. If students have any doubt about their eligibility to acquire these clearances they should contact the local Teacher Registration Authority.

Transition Arrangements

The new course will be rolled out one year at a time, beginning with first year units in 2014. In 2014, first year units will be the new course units, while all other units for second, third and fourth year remain the same. In 2015, first and second year units will be new course units, and so on until the entire course will be replaced in 2018. This means that most students who began the course prior to 2014 will experience no changes to their course or units – they will simply progress through the existing course as expected. In the event that students need to access units from both the old and new courses (for example, due to study disruptions or crediting from other institutions) then an Individual Study Plan will be devised for those students by Curtin.

No student will ever be required to complete more than 28 units plus the final internship, as all previous units completed will always be credited to the student’s course.

About Commonwealth supported places

A Commonwealth supported place is a higher education place for which the Australian Government provides funding to the university towards the cost of your education. Commonwealth supported places are only available for students who wish to enrol in a full course of study and are required to contribute to the cost of their higher education through a student contribution. Eligible students in Commonwealth supported places can also receive assistance with their student contribution in the form of HECS-HELP.

To be eligible for Commonwealth support, you must be:

  • An Australian citizen OR;
  • A New Zealand citizen who will be residing in Australia for the duration of your study OR;
  • The holder of a permanent visa who will be residing in Australia for the duration of your study.

For more information and to download an information booklet on the eligibility requirements and the payment options available including the process for applying for HECS-HELP assistance, please visit

Alternatively if you do not wish to apply as a Commonwealth supported place student or are not eligible, you can still apply to study this course or units within this course. Click on the Course units tab above to find out more.

Please note that depending on the course eligibility requirements, you may be required to provide scanned and certified copies of the following supporting documents:

  • Certified copies of academic transcripts - required in most cases but check course eligibility rules.(Please ensure you attach all pages of your academic transcript including both the front and back pages)

A “certified copy” is a copy of an original document which has been certified as being a true copy by an authorised person. These include a justice of the peace, lawyer, medical practitioner, pharmacist, accountant, school principal or minister of religion.

  • English language test results - if your courses were not predominantly in English e.g. IELTS or equivalent test results.
  • IMPORTANT:  Please do not send original documents as they will not be returned.

Pricing and Payment Options

The total cost of completing a degree will vary depending on the course you have chosen to study.

Fees can also vary according to the type of unit you enrol in and the applicable fee band. Below is a guide to help you find the fees applicable for your own study path.

Please also note that the fees listed here are only indicative costs for new students in 2012. These fees may vary depending on the units you choose and do not include incidental fees (such as lab coats or art supplies) or the cost of your textbooks.

Course Structure


Students can select the three elective units in this course from any unit offered through Open Universities Australia. We advise students to contact their course coordinator for advice regarding enrolling in other education courses offered by Curtin as electives units. 

Interested in this course?

Get your questions answered with practical, tailored advice.

Get advice
OR Help
If you would like to study this unit and enrol today, add it to your Study Cart. Alternatively if you are still exploring your options, you can save this unit to review later by clicking Save to Wishlist.
Open Units - Level 1 Total number of units to complete: 8 units
Unit code
Unit name
2014 Availability
Required Units: Complete the following 8 units
Restricted Level 1 Unit Total number of units to complete: 1 unit
Unit code
Unit name
2014 Availability
Required Units: Complete the following unit

1 EDE107 has a practicum placement requirement.

EDE107 is running in SP2 2014 as a one off unit for students to complete the old program if necessary. This unit will no longer run after SP2 2014.
Restricted Units - Level 2 Total number of units to complete: 7 units
Unit code
Unit name
2014 Availability
Required Units: Complete the following 7 units

1 EDE206 has a practicum placement requirement.

Restricted Units - Level 3 Total number of units to complete: 7 units
Unit code
Unit name
2014 Availability
Required Units: Complete the following 7 units

1 EDE304 has a practicum placement requirement.

Restricted Units - Level 4 Total number of units to complete: 3 units
Unit code
Unit name
2014 Availability
Required Units: Complete the following 3 units
Restricted Units - Level 4 Internship Total number of units to complete: 1 unit
Unit code
Unit name
2014 Availability
Required Units: Complete the following unit

1 EDP425 has a practicum placement requirement.

OR Help
If you would like to study this unit and enrol today, add it to your Study Cart. Alternatively if you are still exploring your options, you can save this unit to review later by clicking Save to Wishlist.

Currently studying this course?

Need support? We're here to help.

Send an enquiry

Let's talk

Have a question? Give us a call.

Standard Hours
Monday to Friday: 8am - 8pm
Saturday and Sunday: CLOSED

All times in Australian Eastern Standard or Daylight Time