Foundations of Business Law
Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Undergraduate Level 1 mean?
Undergraduate Level 1
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
The features of Australian law and its development. The operation of the Australian Constitution. The Doctrine of Precedent and its operation and its relationship to statutory interpretation. The Australian common law and statutory rules relating to the law of contract and how these apply to the concepts of offer and acceptance, intention to create legal relations, the concept of valuable consideration, the rules relating to written contracts, implied terms and exclusion clauses, illegality and its effect on contracts; mistake, misrepresentation, duress, undue influence, the principles of unconscionability relating to contracts, remedies for breach of contract, assessment of damages and the use of equitable remedies. The law of agency in Australia including – methods of agency, capacity of persons to act as an agent and classes of agents.
This unit is a pre-requisite for BLW21 and BLW22, for students working towards the Bachelor of Accounting, UniSA.
- Assignment 2 — 1500 words (30%)
- Open Book Invigilated Exam — 2hrs (50%)
- Quizzes — 1000 words (20%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- demonstrate basic understanding of major areas of Australian Business Law
- identify and assess how legal risk can affect business decision making and operations
- identify and discuss ethical issues associated with the application of the law to business decision making and operations
- identify sources of Australian business law and where is might be retrieved from legal information databases
- analyse and resolve basic legal problems.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||The Australian Legal System Part 1|
|2||The Australian Legal System Part 2|
|3||Understanding Cases and Statutes|
|4||Tort of Negligence|
|5||Contract Law: Contract Formation|
|6||Contract Law: Contract Formation|
|7||Contract Law: Construction|
|8||Contract Law: Discharge of Contract|
|10||Law of Agency|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
Print based materials
- Study Guide
- Welcome Letter
- Resources and Links
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
This unit is part of a major, minor, stream or specialisation in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.