Modern Standard Chinese (Mandarin) 1A 2012
Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Undergraduate Level 1 mean?
Undergraduate Level 1
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Explore Mandarin - the rich cultural language used in modern China today. You will be introduced to the language through online lectures and collaboration with your peers with the aim of developing listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. The unit presents language that would be used in everyday situations you are likely to encounter in both Australian and Chinese contexts. You will undertake a range of activities that can be integrated into any busy lifestyle. The unit anticipates difficulties and provides suggestions on how you can resolve or avoid them. You will need access to a computer, broadband internet connection, a webcam and a microphone headset for this unit.
- Additional materials — a textbook: Hanyu Kouyu Sucheng (Rumen Pian Shang): Short-Term Spoken Chinese ¿ Threshold 1, 2nd Edition (Book 1 and accompaning audio CDs).Ma Jianfei et al., Beijing Language and Culture University Press, Beijing, 2007
- Audio/Visual equipment — CD/Player
- Broadband access — essential
- Other special requirement — computer, Webcam and microphone headset
- Assignment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 (30%)
- Non-Invigilated Exam (30%)
- Participation (10%)
- Quizzes (10%)
To introduce Chinese language, especially the four macro-skills: listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||Introducing Huanyu Pinyin|
|2||introducing language used in everyday situations|
|3||Introduces a range of learning activities such as group wiki work and collaboration in the Wimba classrooms|
|4||Points out difficulties & how to resolve/avoid them|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
Print based materials
- Study Guide
- Welcome Letter
- Audio/Video - Streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is part of a major, minor, stream or specialisation in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.