Duties and tasks
- Create a pastry budget and work with vendors to obtain the best deals for ingredients
- Create quality cookies, cakes, pies, muffins, etc.
- Plan menus, clean the kitchen, stock materials
- Some pastry cooks have supervisory responsibilities
- Work with appliances such as electric mixers and ovens to combine ingredients, blend color, and shape dough
- Excellent communication skills with fellow workers/manager(s)
- Must be creative and exercise great attention to detail
- Must have the ability to multi-task and work quickly with ones hands
- Should have great customer services skills
- There are no registration or licensing requirements for pastry cooks
Pastry Cooks work in bakeries, cafes, or large restaurants. They usually are required to stand for long hours and are often at risk for contracting burns, etc. from handling materials incorrectly. Pastry cook work shifts start as early as 3:00 a.m., but creativity is encouraged in this environment.
Professional associations / Industry information
Related jobs and job titles
- Fast Food Cook
- Pastry Chef