Vehicle Body Builder and Trimmer
Duties and tasks
- Construct trim in interior of vehicles including floor covering, framework lining, armrests, etc.
- Mould, cut and shape aluminium, sheet metal and strengthened plastic panels and connect to framework.
- Nail, bolt, screw and solder individual parts of vehicles and weld components together.
- Position and fasten door trims, rubber seals, locks and handles to vehicle components.
- Select, cut and sew interior fabric materials together using industrial sewing machines.
- Use a variety of shaping, cutting and welding tools and equipment to build framework for metal, wood and fibreglass sections.
- Use drawings and blueprints to create trim work for new vehicles, taking out previous coverings and meeting specifications.
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Manual Agility
- Problem Solving Abilities
- Strong Attention to Detail
Vehicle Body Builders and Trimmers typically work Mondays to Fridays, but may be required to work evenings or weekends in order to finish large orders on time. They usually work in automobile production sites and factories, manually constructing framework and individual components in vehicles.
Professional associations / Industry information
Related jobs and job titles
- Automotive Body Repairer
- Brake Mechanic
- Light Engine Mechanic
- Light Vehicle Motor Mechanic
- Panel Beater
- Vehicle Painter