Electricians perform the hands-on work associated with electrical systems, which includes installing and repairing electrical networks, systems, and circuits in private homes, corporations and industries, and governmental buildings. Electricians also work in lift and escalator installation, service, and repair. Some electricians also work in electrical network design.
Duties and tasks
- Diagnosing issues in electrical networks and using mechanical tools to repair them
- Fitting and repairing defective electrical components of lifts
- Hooking up smaller electrical systems to larger power supplies
- Identifying faulty cables and wires and replacing or repairing them as needed
- Installing electrical switchboards
- Working with blueprints to determine how to execute the task at hand
- Ability to make logical decisions and troubleshoot accordingly
- Excellent hand-eye coordination
- Keen spatial awareness
- Mechanical competence
- Using tools to carry out necessary repairs
Working conditionsThe workplace for an electrician varies according to each individual job. One day, an electrician may be in a domestic setting, and the next, repairing a lift in a large shopping centre. Hours may also vary according to the type of work that needs to be done.
Professional associations / Industry informationMaster Builders Australia Master Builders is the major Australian building and construction industry association.
The National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA)
Related jobs and job titles
- Cable Jointer
- Electrical Mechanic
- Electronics Technician
- Engineering Trades person
- Lift Electrician
- Systems Electrician
- Trades person