Personal Care Assistant

Personal Care Assistants (PCAs), also known as home care aides, caregivers, personal care attendants, etc., are persons who are employed to aid those who are chronically ill, mentally ill, disabled, etc. with their daily living activities, including inside their homes, outside their homes, or both. They assist these individuals with physical mobility, personal needs, and therapeutic care needs.

Duties and tasks

  • Advise patients and their families concerning health care needs, diet restrictions, and cleanliness
  • Aid patients to live in their own homes or in residential care facilities efficiently
  • Care for patients and families during times of incapacitation, convalesce, family disruption by providing personal care and companionship
  • Change bed linens, prepare food, clean homes, and transfer clients who are unable to do so themselves
  • Help patients dress, eat, move around their homes/healthcare facilities

Skills required

  • Excellent speaking/persuasion/active listening skills to effectively deal with patients and their families concerning health care needs
  • Formal training in this field is often required, and experience is preferred
  • Licensing/registration is often required
  • Patient, understanding, caring personality
  • Some on-the-job training may be provided by the employer

Working conditions

Personal Care Assistants work in a variety of settings. Some work in clients homes, while others work in institutions/ nursing homes/small group homes. The work can be trying, and a large amount of patience and understanding is required.

Professional associations / Industry information

Aged Care Australia 

Carers Australia 

The Australian Community Workers Association (ACWA) 

Related jobs and job titles

  • Alcohol and Drug Worker
  • Child Care Worker
  • Counsellor
  • Developmental Care Worker
  • Disabled Carer,Family Day Carer
  • Midwife
  • Nurses Aide
  • Personal Care Assistant
  • Personal Care Worker
  • Registered Nurse
  • Residential Care Worker
  • Special Care Worker
  • Therapy Aide

Related degrees

Related subjects