Shearers work with animals like sheep, goats and alpacas. They are responsible for taking off their wool and preparing it to be sold.
Duties and tasks
- Choosing equipment for shearing
- Dealing with accidental cuts to the animal
- Preparing wool for sales
- Properly maintaining equipment
- Putting animals in the proper position
- Shearing animals like sheep, goats and alpacas
- Effective Communication Skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Fit, strong and energetic
- Multi-tasking skills
- Thinking critically and using logic in order to find solutions to issues that arise.
Shearers work primarily outdoors. The workdays can be very long and the pay will typically be low. Additionally, shearers must be cautious that they are using all tools and machinery properly or they could injure themselves and/or the animals.
Related jobs and job titles
- Farm Hand
- Farm Manager
- Livestock Farmer
- Shearing Shed Hand
- Wool Classer
- Wool Handler