Engineering Design and Communication
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
1. use basic approaches to simple design tasks involving design considerations, constraints, process and management and apply the design approach to a particular design problem.
2. use manual sketching and CAD as a means of expressing and communicating an engineering design to AS1100 standards.
3. function effectively individually and in teams while developing creativity, problem solving, communication, reflective practice and decision-making techniques.
4. demonstrate an effective, professional level of technical communication and support collaborative peer group learning.
5. describe the importance of ethics and safety in engineering design and embed these issues into the design processes.
- 1. Introduction to inventor
- 2. Creating basic parts
- 3. Part and work features
- 4. Detailed work features
- 5. Advanced sketching
- 6. Working with drawing sheets
- 7. Working with drawings
- 8. Basic engineering software
- 9. Assemblies and sub-assemblies
- 10. Advanced assembly modelling
- 11. Introduction to other CAD packages
- 12. Autonomous boat testing
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject is designed to give you an overview of engineering design, creativity, visualisation, expression and technical communication using oral and written skills. It provides an introduction to graphical communication using manual sketching and computer-aided drafting. Topics include problem formulation, development of connectional design solutions, basic CAD skills, mechanical drawing to Australian standards and 3D representation. Assessment is by project work, individual and team design assignments and tutorials. Design and Computer Aided Drafting is taught in year one of a four year program.
It is the foundation for the advanced courses in engineering analysis and design in the subsequent years and later professional life.
- Test or Quiz (10%)
- Engineering drawings. (20%)
- ePortfolio. (25%)
- Design project. (45%)