Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
- Use economic concepts to describe natural capital and ecosystem services.
- Assess market and nonmarket valuation of ecosystem services as well as the methods for computing values.
- Analyse environmental and resource problems as failures of the economic system to properly coordinate people's incentives and actions.
- Effectively communicate economic arguments supported with appropriate evidence.
- Natural Capital
- Ecosystem Services
- Markets of Ecosystems
- Resources, Consumers and Expectations
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject introduces students to the idea of ecosystem services by exploring the benefits that nature provides for people. Whether these benefits are traded in markets or occur in non-market settings, the ecosystem service framework is key to sustainable management of resources into the future. Students will analyse the use of economic tools to manage key ecosystem services such as the provision of water in a dry country, air and water quality, food, fibre or habitat provision for native flora and fauna in landscapes.
- Mid-Semester Test (20%)
- Final Exam (45%)
- Short Presentation (5%)
- Case Study (30%)