Sustainable Engineering Practice
Design a sustainable and professional, civil, electrical or mechanical career in engineering. Survey past and present traits and emerging trends.From project planning to ethics and diversity, form a structured view about sustainable engineering design.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 02 Mar 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- describe the role of the civil, electrical and mechanical engineer in modern society.
- identify important attributes of engineering graduates and use them to evaluate their own personal strengths and weaknesses.
- demonstrate an awareness of the socio-cultural, safety, ethical and sustainable contexts in which engineering is practiced.
- develop inclusive teamwork skills and apply basic project management principles to find an engineering solution.
- develop professional reflection, referencing, oral, written and visual communication skills appropriate for engineering practice.
- Introduction to course and sustainable design
- Major project management and planning introduction
- Engineering communication
- Indigenous communities and sustainability
- Careers in civil, electrical and mechanical engineering
- Wind power
- Green building
- Water sustainability
- ePortfolio development
- Working in teams
- Project delivery and presentation
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Virtual Classroom
- Web links
- Streaming Multimedia
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - Audio headset with microphone is required to access weekly consultation and help desk facilities.
This subject will introduce students to the engineering profession through course and project work and interaction with industry. All are designed to help students to develop some of the essential personal and professional skills needed for sustainable professional practice. It will introduce students to a variety of areas in sustainable and professional engineering, including the role of the professional engineer, graduate attributes of engineering professionals, career management skills, critical analysis and reflective practice, principles of sustainable engineering, professional ethics, intercultural issues including Indigenous protocols, basic project management principles, effective teamwork, team roles, evaluation of team performance, engineering report writing, effective presentations, locating and using information and referencing.
- Teamwork & Design in Eng. (50%)
- Professional Dev. in Eng. (25%)
- Cultural Diversity & Eng. (25%)
Engineering Your Future - an Australasian Guide 3rd ed.
Dowling D, Hadgraft R, Carew A, McCarthy T, Hargreaves D & Baillie C.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.