Sustainable Engineering Practice
Design a sustainable and professional, civil, electrical or mechanical career in engineering. Survey past and present traits and emerging trends.From project planning to ethics and diversity, form a structured view about sustainable engineering design.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Aug 2019
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- describe the role of the civil, electrical and mechanical engineer in modern society.
- identify important attributes of engineering graduates and use them to evaluate their own personal strengths and weaknesses.
- demonstrate an awareness of the socio-cultural, safety, ethical and sustainable contexts in which engineering is practiced.
- develop inclusive teamwork skills and apply basic project management principles to find an engineering solution.
- develop professional reflection, referencing, oral, written and visual communication skills appropriate for engineering practice.
- Introduction to course and sustainable design
- Major project management and planning introduction
- Engineering communication
- Indigenous communities and sustainability
- Careers in civil, electrical and mechanical engineering
- Wind power
- Green building
- Water sustainability
- ePortfolio development
- Working in teams
- Project delivery and presentation
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Virtual Classroom
- Web links
- Streaming Multimedia
- Welcome letter
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - Audio headset with microphone is required to access weekly consultation and help desk facilities.
This subject will introduce students to a variety of areas in sustainable and professional engineering, including the role of the professional engineer, graduate attributes of engineering professionals, career management skills, critical analysis and reflective practice, principles of sustainable engineering, professional ethics, intercultural issues including Indigenous protocols, basic project management principles, effective teamwork, team roles, evaluation of team performance, engineering report writing, effective presentations, locating and using information and referencing.
- Teamwork & Design in Eng. (50%)
- Professional Dev. in Eng. (25%)
- Cultural Diversity & Eng. (25%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Associate Degree in Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject in Mechanical Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Mechanical Engineering