Social Enquiry Methods
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Analyse how research is relevant to evidence-based practice in the human services.
- Critically assess research reports and academic literature.
- Conduct and write a literature review.
- Compare introductory qualitative and quantitative research methods and their applicators.
- Understand and implement research design and analyse findings.
- Social research in/as practice
- The research problem and question
- Reviewing the literature
- Theoretical perspectives and research approaches
- Research design and measurement
- Sampling in quantitative and qualitative research
- Ethics in research
- Data collection in quantitative and qualitative research
- Data analysis in quantitative and qualitative research
- Interpreting data and informing others
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This course has been carefully designed to break the steps of designing a research proposal into manageable, sequential pieces. In this logical framework, you will learn how to conduct a literature review that supports a research question. Examine various research design elements that could serve to 'answer' the research question you identify. Study the critical step of designing ethical social research. Learn the value of social research as a practice tool and gain the skills and knowledge to undertake a range of research-related practice activities.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a second-year course from UniSA Online’s Bachelor of Psychological Science and Sociology degree. Please note: you are responsible for completing any relevant prerequisite courses before enrolling in this course.
- 2700 words (60%)
- 1800 words (40%)
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 03 Sep 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.