Introduction to Construction Business Management
Learn the micro and macro-economic principles behind construction. Consider how changes in the market can affect construction firms – including the impact on costs, revenues and pricing. Learn using real firms as examples, using market data.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
By the end of this 10-week course, you’ll be able to:
- Define economics and appreciate its importance to the construction industry.
- Relate and apply fundamental micro-economic theory to firms in the construction industry.
- Describe fundamental macro-economic theory and how it impacts both construction output as well as national output.
- Describe the global economy and explain how international economic events impact on the construction industry.
- Describe fundamental macro-economic theory and how it impacts both construction output as well as national output context.
- Introduction to economics for construction professionals
- Elasticity of demand and supply
- Cost and production for construction firms
- Perfect competition market
- Monopolistic competition and oligopoly markets
- Government intervention in the market
- Introduction to macroeconomics
- Aggregate demand and aggregate supply
- Monetary and fiscal policy
- International macroeconomics
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Gain an understanding of the fundamental micro and macro-economics principles through a construction lens. Analyse how changes in market conditions and monetary policy can affect construction firms. Examine the unique characteristics and different types of markets and how they impact costs, revenues and pricing.
Investigate real-world scenarios and case studies. As part of your assessments, you’ll investigate the market characteristics of a construction firm with a major presence in Australia. You’ll learn to use real-time market data including market shares, profits and sales to analyse the firm’s position in the market.
UniSA Online’s 10-week short courses give you the flexibility to upskill in a certain area, stay current with developments in your field, diversify your knowledge, or even explore a new direction in your career – without having to commit to the time and cost of a full university degree.
Delivered 100% online, you’ll be able to study where and when it suits you. Access online academic and student support seven days a week, fit study around work and life commitments, view learning resources 24/7, and log in to the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This is a first-year course from UniSA Online’s Construction Management degrees.
- Analysis (35%)
- Case Study (65%)
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 03 Sep 21)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.