Essential Mathematics 1: Algebra and Trigonometry
Round up your maths skills and increase your confidence. Summarise and graph trigonomic and algebraic identities, functions and properties. Measure the relationships between angles, lines, symbols and letters. Find sides to solve equations.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 26 Aug 2019
- 25 Nov 2019
- 02 Mar 2020
- 01 Jun 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply elementary manipulative skills to solve mathematical problems
- formulate simple applied problems in mathematical language
- use the principles of elementary trigonometry and linear algebra in the solution of problems.
- Mathematical Preliminaries, Polynomials and exponents, Rationals, Radicals and Complex numbers
- Linear and Non-linear Equations, Linear and Non-Linear Inequalities, Analytic Geometry
- Functions, Linear Functions, Systems of Linear Equations, Quadratic Functions
- Trigonometric Functions and Trigonometric Graphs, Angles, Trigonometric Identities and Equations, Trigonometric Formulas, Triangles
- Matrix Algebra, Matrix Multiplication and Inverses
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Virtual Classroom
- Web links
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - Audio headset with microphone are required to access weekly consultation and help desk facilities.
- OtherDetails -
To pass this unit a student must achieve 50% in the overall assessment and a minimum of 40% of the available marks in the final examination. Students will require Windows 7 or higher. UniSA does not support Windows XP.
This subject aims to increase confidence and ability in mathematical skills, to provide an introduction to the understanding of mathematical principles of algebra and trigonometry and to introduce systematic problem solving techniques. It includes a review of basic algebra; involving introduction to algebraic functions and their graphs; trigonometric functions, properties and identities; elementary matrices and linear algebra.
- Assignment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Online quizzes: 5 (10%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.
Associate Degree in Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject in Mechanical Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Mechanical Engineering