Energy Management for Sustainability
Renew your sustainable energy management skills. Learn the energy use principles and conversion processes powering industry, transport and buildings. Source and apply energy saving methods and unearth alternative, sustainable sources.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- understand and apply the physical principles underlying energy conversion processes
- understand and apply the principles of energy efficiency as applied to thermal processes
- identify, plan and implement an energy recovery and energy savings program
- understand the energy and associated flows in industry, transport and buildings
- conduct energy audits in industry, transport and buildings
- understand, evaluate and ethically apply environmental, social and economic ramifications of different energy scenarios
- Energy resources, conversion process and conversion efficiencies
- Renewable energy systems
- Environmental impacts of energy use
- Energy recovery methods for thermal systems
- Energy management techniques in industry, transport and buildings
- The energy audit
- Financial and environmental evaluation techniques
- Role of the energy manager
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
Energy conversion is a pivotal aspect of energy management. Energy Management for Sustainability provides an overview of the principles behind and the methods used for energy utilisation and energy recovery methods. The aim of this subject is to gain an understanding of the physical principles underlying energy conversion processes in engines, and energy management aspects as applied in industry, transport and buildings. You will apply this knowledge to implement meaningful energy savings and energy efficiency process improvements, while becoming aware of the sustainability implications of the various energy options available.
- Tutorial Work - 2000 words (15%)
- 2500 words (40%)
- Invigilated Exam - 3 hours (45%)