Superannuation and Retirement
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
Subjects may require attendance
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the structure and operation of the superannuation industry;
- critically evaluate the superannuation regularity and legislative environment;
- demonstrate specialist knowledge of the taxation of superannuation funds;
- critically analyse the use of contributions and benefits in different scenarios;
- critically evaluate superannuation benefits and termination payments; and
- apply cognitive, technical and creative skills to generate and evaluate the complex planning of retirement incomes and the use of income safety nets.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
Candidature in the Master of Professional Accounting.
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Travel requirements - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject.
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
Where calculators are permitted in examinations, it must be selected from an approved list, which can be accessed from the Further Information link below.
Australia’s $2.9 trillion superannuation system is the envy of the world. In studying this comprehensive subject, you will analyse our superannuation and retirement planning systems to bolster your understanding of this dynamic industry sector. You will explore Australia’s superannuation industry and the regulatory environment in which superannuation funds operate, along with issues of consumer protection. You will also examine other important legislation, taxation of superannuation funds, contributions and benefits, and self-managed super funds. In weekly topics, you will also study and analyse retirement income planning as well as income safety nets.
Essay and Calculations: 5500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 Final Examination: 2 hrs mins. Students must obtain 50% in the exam (and at least 50% overall) to receive a pass or better in the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Essay and Calculations (40%)
- Final Examination (60%)