Introduction to Quantitative Skills
Learn the basics of maths in relation to science – or refresh your knowledge – allowing you to become confident in a scientific environment. Cover algebraic concepts, fractions, linear functions, graphs, power and root functions and more.
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
Subjects may require attendance
- 04 Nov 2019
- 02 Mar 2020
- 26 Oct 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- work effectively with algebraic expressions;
- graph different types of functions;
- solve different types of equations;
- solve different types of inequality; and
- find and apply inverse functions.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - • Headphones or speakers ( required to listen to lecture and other media provided in subjetcs, a USB style headset has proven to provide superior audio quality to the jack style headset when used for online teaching software) • Headset, including microphone (highly recommended for participation in virtual classrooms) • Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations)
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete their subjects. UNE's minimum requirement for all students in relation to the hardware and software a student requires to support their learning are found at: http://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject. Travel may be required to attend the Non-Mandatory Intensive School.
In an increasingly data-driven world, the importance of quantitative skills has never been greater. However, not all students interested in the sciences have a strong mathematical background, or they may need a refresher of foundational topics once learned but since forgotten. In this subject, students will learn the importance of mathematics to science and develop mathematical understanding of core quantitative skills, allowing the confident application of basic mathematics required of any scientist. Important topics including algebraic concepts and functions are taught, allowing students to build a solid foundation before proceeding to more advanced subjects. This subject is intended to take a NSW HSC graduate in Mathematics General, and get them to the level of the beginning university maths subject (Quantitative Skills with Applications) taught at UNE.
Topics covered include algebraic concepts, including expanding, simplifying, and factorising simple algebraic expressions; working with fractions, units, and percentages; and rules for indices/powers; linear functions, equations, inequalities, and graphs; quadratic functions, equations, inequalities, and graphs; polynomial and rational functions, equations, inequalities, and graphs; power and root functions, equations, inequalities, and graphs; and exponential and logarithmic functions, function composition, inverse functions.
Assessment 1 to Assessment 9: 9 Assessments of mathematical calculations and problem solving. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Final Examination: It is mandatory to pass this component in order to pass the subject. Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Assessment 1 (4.44%)
- Assessment 2 (4.44%)
- Assessment 3 (4.44%)
- Assessment 4 (4.44%)
- Assessment 5 (4.44%)
- Assessment 6 (4.44%)
- Assessment 7 (4.44%)
- Assessment 8 (4.44%)
- Assessment 9 (4.48%)
- Final Invigilated Examination (60%)
Textbook information is pending.
Textbook information is pending.