Disease and its Control in Animals
Examine disease in sheep, grazing and feedlot cattle, chickens, pigs, dogs, horses and Australian native animals. Study regulation, disease prevention and management. Recognise good husbandry for animal health. Diagnose disease and identify treatment.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online and other materials
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an advanced knowledge of and be able to describe, analyse critically and evaluate the major health problems in farm animals, dogs, horses and Australian wildlife;
- demonstrate an advanced cognitive and technical understanding of the impact of animal diseases in a biological and economic sense;
- demonstrate an advanced cognitive and technical understanding of the integrated control of disease in the different animal species, and the role of good husbandry in maintaining animal health;
- demonstrate autonomy, well-developed judgement, adaptability and responsibility in the recognition and appropriate treatment of animal disease problems; and
- analyse critically, evaluate and transform information to complete a range of activities and communicate them to others efficiently in written and verbal form.
- Introduction to disease, disease prevention and regulatory aspects
- Understanding and managing parasitic disease in farm animals
- Diseases and health management in the sheep industry
- Diseases and health management in the beef industry
- Diseases and health management in the feedlot cattle industry
- Diseases and health management in the dairy industry
- Diseases and health management in the poultry industry
- Diseases and health management in the pig industry
No eligibility requirements
- OtherDetails -
This unit includes an on-campus intensive at the Armidale campus of UNE