Structural Equation Modelling
Line up and apply Structural Equation Models in research. Probe underlying theory and explore potential uses. Survey strengths and limitations. Apply design and access skills. Interpret simple research models using structural equation techniques.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 26 Aug 2019
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic theory and principles of structural equation modelling
- Conduct advanced structural equation modelling analysis using specialised software packages
- Apply structural equation modelling to assess the psychometric properties of measures
- Demonstrate the ability to construct, compute and interpret more complex models (e.g. mean structure and longitudinal models)
- Compare models statistically via the use of invariance testing and model comparison
- Apply critical thinking abilities in relation to publications using structural equation modelling techniques.
- Exploratory factor analysis
- Multiple regression
- Confirmatory factor analysis
- Path analysis
- Full structural equation models
- Multi-sample models and invariance testing
- Mean structure models
- Longitudinal models
- Mixture SEM models
- Dealing with missing data, statistical assumptions and model issues
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Welcome letter
- Printable format materials
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
SWI-STA70002-Multivariate Statistics , or SWI-HMS780
- OtherDetails -
You will require access to a recent version of SPSS and AMOS for this unit.
This subject is an introductory, applied degree in the use of Structural Equation Models (SEM) in research. It provides students with a broad understanding of structural equation modeling, its underlying theory and potential uses in research, as well as an awareness of its strengths and limitations. It is designed to give students the skills to competently design, assess, and interpret simple research models across multiple discipline areas using structural equation modeling techniques.
Please note: assessment values are indicative only, details will be advised at the start of the subject.
- Quizzes — Online (10%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Assignments — 2 (40%)
Textbook information is pending.