- Sociology, the Sociological Imagination and Social Stratification
- Society and Culture
- Sociological Theory and Methods
- Ethnicity, Race and Racism
- Gender, Sex and Sexuality
- Globalisation & Neoliberalism
- Putting Sociology into Practice
- Chat Rooms
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Welcome letter
- Printable format materials
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
This subject aims to provide students with an introduction to the foundations of the discipline of sociology. Successful completion of this subject will prepare students to undertake study in the discipline at more advanced levels through their understanding of the sociological imagination and central sociological theories as applied to a range of current events and issues.
This subject is part of the Social Science Pathway.
OUA Pathways recommends the best subjects to start your studies, even if you're not sure which degree you want to do. Each pathway includes four subjects based on your area of interest.
Once you complete your recommended path you'll be able to choose from a range of degrees in your area of interest. Plus, each of the subjects you complete through OUA Pathways can also be credited towards your chosen degree.
Learn more about OUA Pathways.
- Essay — Major (45%)
- Essay 1 — Academic Writing Skills Exercise (25%)
- Essay 2 — Reflective (30%)
Bachelor of Psychological Sciences
- Major in Psychology
- Co-Major in Sociology
- Core Introductory
Bachelor of Behavioural Studies
- Major in Psychological Studies
- Co-major in Sociology