Major Project - Observational Astronomy
Get practical about observing an astronomical project. Focus on astrophotography or CCD imaging. Survey stellar techniques and navigate principles. Justify, summarise and record experimental investigation findings
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Identify the use of astrophotography or CCD imaging in observational astronomy
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of a particular aspect of observational astronomy
- Develop and identify a scientific justification which includes a research plan, the project aims, objectives and expected outcomes
- Demonstrate independent research
- Design and create a comprehensive record of research methodologies and references/resources utilised
- Design and create a detailed project report of techniques used, investigations undertaken and conclusions reached
- Design and create a short poster summary of results.
- Students will undertake a substantial amateur observing project using astrophotography and/or CCD imaging techniques
- Each student will work closely with a supervisor assigned to their project, communicating and exchanging drafts via email.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
- SWI-AST80002-Astrophotography & CCD Imaging
No special requirements
This subject aims to develop:
- knowledge and understanding of the principles involved in a particular aspect or application of astrophotography and/or CCD imaging;
- practical experience in the techniques involved in astrophotography and/or CCD
- imaging; and
- ability to keep a comprehensive record of experimental investigations, to write a detailed summary report of techniques used and investigations undertaken, and to communicate effectively about the outcomes of their work.
- Report (60%)
- Proposal (20%)
- Assignment (20%)