Major Project - Observational Astronomy
Get practical about observing an astronomical project. Focus on astrophotography or CCD imaging. Survey stellar techniques and navigate principles. Justify, summarise and record experimental investigation findings
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Aug 2019
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Identify the use of astrophotography or CCD imaging in observational astronomy
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of a particular aspect of observational astronomy
- Develop and identify a scientific justification which includes a research plan, the project aims, objectives and expected outcomes
- Demonstrate independent research
- Design and create a comprehensive record of research methodologies and references/resources utilised
- Design and create a detailed project report of techniques used, investigations undertaken and conclusions reached
- Design and create a short poster summary of results
- Students will undertake substantial practical amateur observing projects using astrophotography and/or CCD imaging techniques.
- A variety of suggested project topics will be made available, or students may suggest their own, subject to negotiation with the subject convenor.
- Each student will work closely with a supervisor assigned to their project, communicating and exchanging drafts via e-mail, and, where appropriate, students will collaborate with each other via newsgroup discussions.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
SWI-AST80002-Astrophotography & CCD Imaging , or SWI-HET609
No special requirements
This subject aims to develop the student's knowledge and understanding of the principles involved in a particular aspect or application of astrophotography and/or CCD imaging. Students will gain practical experience, develop an ability to keep a comprehensive record of experimental investigations, write a detailed report and communicate effectively about the outcomes of their work.
- Scientific Justification Report (20%)
- Project (60%)
- Poster (20%)
Textbook information is pending.