Major Project - Astronomy & Astrophysics
Accelerate your astronomy and astrophysics studies to the next level as you investigate a research topic of your choosing. Launch into your project on the back of established research methodologies. Create a poster summarising your astrological findings.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate detailed knowledge of a particular aspect of astronomy & astrophysics
- write a project proposal which includes a research plan, the project aims, objectives and expected outcomes
- undertake independent research
- keep a comprehensive record of research methodologies and references/resources utilised
- write a detailed and summary report of techniques used, investigations undertaken and conclusions reached in the project
- synthesise the research results in a short poster summary.
- Students will undertake a substantial project using astronomy and/or astrophysics techniques
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
SWI-AST80006-Galaxies and their Place in the Universe, or SWI-HET624 and SWI-AST80004-Exploring Stars and the Milky Way, or SWI-HET603 and SWI-AST80005-Exploring the Solar System, or SWI-HET602 ;
No special requirements
This subject develops a detailed knowledge and understanding of the principles involved in a particular aspect or application of astronomy and/or astrophysics, and provides practical experience in the techniques involved in astronomy and/or astrophysics. You develop your ability to keep a comprehensive record of experimental investigations, to write a detailed summary report of techniques used and investigations undertaken and to communicate effectively about the outcomes of your work.
- Proposal (20%)
- Assignment (20%)
- Report (60%)