Major Project - Astronomy & Astrophysics
Accelerate your astronomy and astrophysics studies to the next level as you investigate a research topic of your choosing. Launch into your project on the back of established research methodologies. Create a poster summarising your astrological findings.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
- 24 Feb 2019
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate detailed knowledge of a particular aspect of astronomy & astrophysics
- write a project proposal which includes a research plan, the project aims, objectives and expected outcomes
- undertake independent research
- keep a comprehensive record of research methodologies and references/resources utilised
- write a detailed and summary report of techniques used, investigations undertaken and conclusions reached in the project
- synthesise the research results in a short poster summary.
- Students will undertake a substantial project using astronomy and/or astrophysics techniques
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
SWI-AST80006-Galaxies and their Place in the Universe , or SWI-HET624
SWI-AST80004-Exploring Stars and the Milky Way , or SWI-HET603
SWI-AST80005-Exploring the Solar System , or SWI-HET602
No special requirements
This subject develops a detailed knowledge and understanding of the principles involved in a particular aspect or application of astronomy and/or astrophysics, and provides practical experience in the techniques involved in astronomy and/or astrophysics. You develop your ability to keep a comprehensive record of experimental investigations, to write a detailed summary report of techniques used and investigations undertaken and to communicate effectively about the outcomes of your work.
- Proposal (20%)
- Assignment (20%)
- Report (60%)
Textbooks are not required.