Engineer a research project about science and technology and apply statistics. Devise questions, probe theories and critique methods. Analyse data sets to summarise characteristics. Combine conclusions with a review. Interpret and discuss results
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Conduct a literature review on a specific research question
- Prepare data for analysis
- Conduct an appropriate statistical analysis and interpret the results
- Evaluate relevant assumptions and draw conclusions about the quality of evidence generated by a research project
- Synthesise project conclusions with literature review to suggest directions for future research
- Write a scientific research report in the format of a journal article
- Present the findings of your research orally.
- Formulation of research questions/hypotheses
- Literature review relating to the above
- Review of statistical methodology to be used
- Exploratory data analysis
- Statistical analysis
- Discussion of results
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Welcome letter
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
The subject provides students with the opportunity to apply the statistical skills acquired throughout their degree in undertaking a research project under supervision. The project will address the research question proposed as part of the prerequisite STA80009 Statistical Consulting.
Please note: assessment values are indicative only, details will be advised at the start of the subject.
- Presentation — Group (20%)
- Report — Individual (80%)