Cosmology and the Large-Scale Structure of the Universe
Navigate the origin and evolution of the early universe. Explore cosmic concepts and probe dark matter. Observe structure and use galactic surveys and simulations. Step back in time and consider unresolved questions. Map astronomical information.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Have a conceptual knowledge of space-time and how it has evolved, its observational and theoretical basis and major unresolved questions
- Understand basic cosmology concepts such as the big bang model and cosmic inflation, dark matter and dark energy, with the ability to discuss them in a non-technical way
- Understand the tools with which we probe the large-scale structure of the universe, including large galaxy surveys and supercomputer simulations
- Research a cosmology topic in depth, using dependable sources of astronomical information on the internet and refereed journal articles.
- The Early Universe
- Large-scale structure
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
SWI-AST80006-Galaxies and their Place in the Universe, or SWI-HET624 ;
You should complete introductory tertiary-level mathematics and physics before commencing in this subject.
No special requirements
This subject aims to provide an introduction to cosmology, including the physics of the early Universe, dark matter and dark energy and the evolution of the observed large-scale structure.
- Project (50%)
- Newsgroups (30%)
- Online tests (20%)