- The development, regulation, deregulation and performance of the Australian financial system
- Risks of the financial institutions
- Regulatory requirements and Off-Balance-sheet activities
- Interest rate Risk
- Market Risk
- Credit Risk
- Technology and Operational Risk
- Liquidity and Liability & Liquidity Management
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
This subject was previously known as Banking and Financial Institutions Management.
This subject expands the understanding of theoretical concepts introduced in prior subjects on monetary policy and financial markets. Students will be taken through the development, regulation and deregulation of the Australian financial market, and how changes have corresponded to changes in economic thought. The subject provides an overview of monetary theory, debt, equity and derivative markets and the role of derivative products in risk management. The impacts of how changes in official interest rates are transmitted to activity in the real economy are also explored as are current fiscal and monetary policy.
Please note: assessment values are indicative only, details will be advised at the start of the subject.
- Assignment 1 - Assignment 1 — Individual (20-30%)
- Assignment 2 - Assignment 2 — Individual (20-30%)
- Assignment 3 - Invigilated Exam — Individual (40-60%)