Transport and Freight Logistics
Work through the challenges that face domestic and global freight transporters.
Ask how globalisation, 9/11 and the Iraq War have impacted freight logistics. Get a snapshot of the transportation systems available across land, air, sea and pipeline.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
Subjects may require attendance
- 26 Aug 2019
Upon completion of this subject, you should be able to demonstrate achievement of the following Degree Level Outcomes (CLOs):
- Comprehend and evaluate key concepts and theories in the field of transportation and freight logistics
- Generate and implement appropriate principles and approaches in the formulation of both domestic and international freight transportation strategy
- Demonstrate how the formulated domestic and international freight transportation strategy facilitate successful supply chain operations
- Examine various transportation and freight logistics solutions using appropriate assessment methods in the rationalisation of domestic and international distribution and freight transport logistics network
- Build and display appropriate leadership and organising abilities in leveraging resources, capabilities, and competencies of a group to critically analyse situations and develop solutions to problems
- Develop and apply effective interpersonal skills and communication techniques in working as a team to solve real-world problems in supply chain management.
- The Role of Freight Transportation in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Transportation Regulation and Public Policy
- Overview of Transport Providers - Land, Air, Maritime, Rail & Pipeline
- Intermodal Freight Transportation
- International Freight Logistics
- Costing and Pricing in Freight Transportation
- Carrier Strategies
- Shipper Strategies
- Private Freight Transportation
- Future Challenges in Freight Transportation
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
No special requirements
Please note: this unit is currently not taking further enrolments in Study Period 4, 2018.
This subject was previously known as Transport Management.
Transportation plays a critical role in any supply chain as it moves products and services to where and when they are required. Significant global changes (globalisation, post 9/11, Iraq war etc) have made major impacts on the logistics environment thus making proper management of this function a necessity. This unit will look into the important issues in domestic and global transportation which include transport planning and operations, transport infrastructure and regulations, selection of carriers and third party suppliers, transport costing, transport strategies, and information technology in transportation.
- Case Study Analysis (30%)
- Research Essay (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: