Transport and Freight Logistics
Work through the challenges that face domestic and global freight transporters.
Ask how globalisation, 9/11 and the Iraq War have impacted freight logistics. Get a snapshot of the transportation systems available across land, air, sea and pipeline.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 25 Feb 2019
- 26 Aug 2019
On successful completion of this subject you will be able to:
- Implement appropriate principles for logistic operations, both locally and for international transport logistics.
- Develop and implement domestic and international freight transportation strategies to facilitate effective supply chain operations.
- Review and evaluate various freight transportation and freight logistics solutions using appropriate assessment methods to rationalise both domestic and international freight transportation and logistics networks.
- Develop and apply appropriate leadership and organising abilities in leveraging resources.
Communicate and work with others effectively to resolve problems in freight transportation and supply chain management.
- The Role of Freight Transportation in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Transportation Regulation and Public Policy
- Overview of Transport Providers - Land, Air, Maritime, Rail & Pipeline
- Intermodal Freight Transportation
- International Freight Logistics
- Costing and Pricing in Freight Transportation
- Carrier Strategies
- Shipper Strategies
- Private Freight Transportation
- Future Challenges in Freight Transportation
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as Transport Management.
Freight transportation plays a critical role in any supply chain as it fulfils time and place utility of goods i.e. delivers products and services to where and when they are required. Significant global changes (globalisation, civil and social unrests, climatic changes etc) have made major impacts on the logistics environment thus making proper management of this function a necessity.
This subject will look into the important issues in domestic and global transportation which include freight transportation planning and operations, transportation infrastructure and regulations, selection of freight transportation carriers and third party suppliers, freight transportation costing, freight transportation strategies, and information technology in freight transportation.
- Research Essay (20%)
- Business Report (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.