Global Media and Communication Design
Table developments across the world that have impacted the media and communications landscape. Catalogue technological, social and economic changes. Address an increasingly convergent global industry.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
In this degree you will develop the following program capabilities:
- Critically analyse and respond to social, technological, historical and economic changes affecting the media and communications industry
- Consider practice in the context of relevant theoretical and analytical frameworks
- Develop your leadership knowledge and communication skills for contemporary and emerging practice
- Reflect on trends related to professional identity, inter-disciplinarity and convergence, and propose new professional practice / consulting opportunities.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Appraise and critique theoretical and ethical positions in relation to contemporary media and communication
- Analyse industry innovation in solving problems related to the changing global context of media and communication, including cross-cultural issues
- Critically evaluate the influence of the changing global context on professional practices, including leadership and teamwork in networked industry settings.
- Week 1: Perspectives: An introduction to globalisation theory
- Week 2: Globalisation and the Mediasphere
- Week 3: Technology and the Network Society
- Week 4: The Internet and I
- Week 5: Doing Media Work
- Week 6: Research methods
- Week 7: The value of content
- Week 8: The news industry
- Week 9: Globalisation, advertising and culture
- Week 10: The shape of new media empires
- Week 11: Globalisation, the media and violence
- Week 12: New media and democracy
- Weeks 13: Review
- Weeks 14: Review
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
This subject is for Master of Communication Design students only. If you want to take this subject as an elective you must meet pre-requisite requirements and contact RMIT email@example.com for approval.
No special requirements
- Present of research framewk (30%)
- Final submission (45%)
- Research Proposal + lit review (25%)