Place painting materials and methods in the frame. Canvass the 19th and 20th centuries and identify the dominant painting practices. Gain an appreciation for drawing as a way to experiment and problem-solve. Set brush to paper and paint a still life.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Gain a basic understanding of painting
- Develop an understanding of the importance of drawing as a method of investigative experimentation
- Gain foundation studies in the materials and methods of painting
- Experience different approaches to painting.
- Investigating colour
- Still life
- Investigating the possibility of collage
- Painting an interior
- Online assignment submission
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject aims to introduce you to painting as a form of self-expression through a series of progressive studies. You will be instructed in analytical thinking, visual perception, discovering intuitive sensibilities and controlled experimentation. Studies include methods of production, materials and health and safety concerns. The subject will enable you to investigate conceptual and aesthetic problems and thus increase your awareness of how to provide resolution and expression to image making. Topics covered include the methods and materials of the artist, the practices of painting and painting in the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Assignment (100%)