Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Put the study of ecotoxicology under the microscope. Measure how effective various water pollution sampling methods are. Analyse the impact chemicals and pollutants have on ecosystems. Turn your findings toward critical scientific reviews.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
Subjects may require attendance
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- define critical terms and concepts in ecotoxicology
- describe and evaluate the biological, ecological and chemical factors affecting toxicity testing
- differentiate between toxicants in their effects on organisms and ecosystems
- explain the effects of bioaccumulation and biotransformation in organisms and ecosystems and the impacts of major pollution events such as oil spills
- describe, discuss and apply tests for pollution using micro-organisms, plants and invertebrates
- describe and evaluate biological indicators of pollution at the habitat and organism level
- evaluate the risk to ecosystem function from a pollutant.
- Introduction to ecotoxicology
- Toxicity testing
- Chemical distribution
- Specific toxicant effects
- Biological monitoring
- Ecological risk assessment
- Photosynthetic organisms and pollution
- Water pollution and water sampling methods
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
First year Biology and Chemistry, Animal Structure and Function, or evidence of equivalent capabilities.
- Attendance requirements - Mandatory on-campus attendance for practical classes in the laboratory.
This subject has a vocational focus. It introduces to the student the field of environmental toxicology and teaches them practical skills in pollution sampling techniques and their application to the study of environmental assessment. This subject enables students to develop a detailed knowledge of ecotoxicological principles. It prepares the students to utilise ecological sampling techniques in the field to solve applied ecotoxicological problems and in preparing critical scientific reviews, specifically in important areas of ecotoxicology.
- Invigilated Exam (45%)
- Online tests (10%)
- Literature review & seminar (20%)
- Lab reports (25%)
Current study term: 28 Aug 22 to 27 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.