Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Chemistry of Materials 1
Find the relationship between chemistry and energy. Explain how chemical bonding behaviour influences the structure, size and properties of molecules. Describe chemical interactions with heat and electricity. Identify the state of chemical equilibrium
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
The course will develop your scientific, critical thinking, problem solving and communication skills, and their application to the study and understanding of fundamental chemistry processes.
On completion of this course you should be able to:
- Describe and explain the fundamental concepts of inorganic, organic and physical chemistry.
- Use the theoretical knowledge and apply problem solving skills to practical problems.
- Be able to safely and efficiently perform simple chemical laboratory processes.
- Be able to conduct, record, analyse and interpret chemical observations and measurements in a practical setting; and be able to effectively communicate the results, at a consolidating level.
- Atomic structure and bonding
- Periodicity of atomic properties
- Molecular orbital theory and valence bond theory
- Organic functional group chemistry
- Isomerism and stereochemistry
- Chemical equilibria
- Chemistry laboratory
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
To complete this course successfully, you should have Year 12 chemistry, or another equivalent course.
- Attendance requirements - Practical classes will be completely online for SP2.
This course provides an introduction to Materials Chemistry. Scientific topics include:
INORGANIC CHEMISTRY: Atomic structure and bonding
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY: Nomenclature, structure, bonding and reactions of hydrocarbons; reactions and properties of haloalkanes, alcohols, ethers and amines.
PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY: Thermochemistry. Equilibria. Thermodynamics. Electrochemistry.
- In-semester quizzes (30%)
- Laboratory Reports (22%)
- Authentic Timed Assessment (48%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.