Advertising Theory and Practice
Promote your knowledge of advertising campaigns, theories and research. Recognise advertising’s use as a marketing communication tool. Dig into segmentation theory and target consumer audiences. Look to advertising’s place on the international stage.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
In this subject you will develop the following program learning outcomes:
- Acquire and apply knowledge of local and international perspectives and issues about contemporary advertising
- Undertake research into contemporary media and communication theory and practice to explore possible industry and career directions.
Upon successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Examine and discuss advertising as a marketing communication method
- Compare alternative advertising theories in relation to global industry practice
- Interpret and apply advertising theory to the development of advertising messages
- Critically analyse the role of consumer behaviour in the development of advertising strategies
- Explain and apply the framework and techniques for evaluating advertising effectiveness for diverse audiences.
- Week 1: Introduction: Integrated marketing communications
- Week 2: Establishing Objectives and Budget Setting
- Week 3: Perspectives on Consumer Behaviour
- Week 4: Brand Equity and Customer Loyalty
- Week 5: Creative Strategy: Planning and Development
- Week 6: Media Planning and Strategy
- Week 7: Media Continued: Direct Marketing, Internet and Sales Promotion
- Week 8: Public Relations, Publicity and Corporate Advertising
- Week 9: International Advertising and Sales Promotion
- Week 10: Measuring Effectiveness
- Week 11: Evaluating the Social, Economic and Ethical Aspects of Advertising
- Week 12: Unit review and Revision
- Week 13: Review
- Week 14: Review
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Audio-Video streaming
This subject is for Master of Communication Design students only. If you want to take this subject as an elective you must contact RMIT email@example.com for approval.
No special requirements
- Theory Review & Application (30%)
- Individual Report (40%)
- Case Study Facilitation+report (30%)