Systems Analysis and Design
Enrolments for this year have closed. Apply for 2023
- 27 Feb 2023
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 23,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
Learn more about Murdoch.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of the subject you should be able to:
- explain how information systems are used within organisations to fulfill organisational needs
- describe the phases and activities typically involved in the systems development life cycle
- describe the professional roles, skills and ethical issues involved in systems analysis and design work
- use a variety of techniques for analysing and defining business problems and opportunities and determining system requirements
- model system requirements using UML, including use case diagrams and descriptions, activity diagrams and domain model class diagrams
- explain the activities involved in systems design, including designing the system environment, application components, user interfaces, database and software
- represent early system design using UML, including sequence diagrams, architectural diagrams and design class diagrams
- describe tools and techniques for planning, managing and evaluating systems development projects
- describe the key features of several different systems development methodologies
- present systems analysis and design documentation in an appropriate, consistent and professional manner.
- Overview of systems analysis and design and the SDLC.
- Systems analysis tolls and techniques.
- System design tools and techniques.
- Systems development project planning and management.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
This subject is CSP only and cannot be taken as open access. The correct CSP fee will be displayed once you begin the enrolment process. Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 subjects or other relevant experience.
No additional requirements
This subject introduces methods and techniques for analysing problematic organisational situations, particularly those leading to the development of an information system, and draws on both technical and organisational material to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to design and implement an operational system.
Please Note: All students studying at Murdoch University will need to complete the compulsory unit, Murdoch Academic Passport (MAP100), which only takes 2-3 hours to complete online. Find out more: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/MurdochAcademicPassport.
The tutorial quizzes provide weekly feedback on the main topics covered in the tutorials and related lectures. The first assignment allows students to demonstrate practical knowledge of systems analysis and modelling techniques. Feedback from this assignment will be relevant to the second assignment. The second assignment allows students to undertake a complete systems analysis of their own and feedback is provided in the form of a written document. Throughout the unit the online forum is used for discussion and feedback. Final Examination scripts are viewable upon request.
- Open book timed online exam (50%)
- Problem Solving Task (15%)
- Problem Solving Task (25%)
- Tutorial quizzes (10%)
Current study term: 26 Feb 23 to 28 May 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.