Strategic Health Leadership and Management
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
By the end of the degree the student will be able to:
- Integrate the styles and attributes of effective health industry leaders
- Examine the hierarchy of strategic and tactical perspectives in the context of health care organisations
- Analyse fundamental theories of health leadership and management: trait, skill, style and situational approaches to management
- Apply knowledge and practice to reflect about themselves as potential managers: Given who I am, and can become, what kind of manager am I likely to be? What can and should I do to prepare myself for a job as a manager – and at what management level(s)?
- Develop skills in critical analysis
- Enhance abilities in outlining the need for different forms of team work activities and understand the relationship between structure and processes
- Enhance skills in written and oral communication individually and in group - co-operation, collaboration and reflection
- Apply competencies in the health policy writing and review processes
- Evaluate complex and changing contexts of health industry, and develop appropriate knowledge and skills for leadership and management.
- Demographic transition
- Epidemiologic transition
- Concepts of health and disease
- Modes of health care
- Health technolgy
- Health care funding
- Community expectations about health services
- Optimal mix of health professionals
- Settings for health care provision
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
- Book of readings
- Study guide
- Welcome letter
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject is designed to provide students with knowledge on leadership and managerial approaches pertaining to health care organisations. Lectures will be delivered by both academics and guest industry leaders. The overall objective is to introduce students to issues in healthcare leadership and management in Australian and global health industries, as well as developing appropriate competencies to work effectively in health organisations. The subject aims at developing essential strategic health leadership for effective management of health services and projects.
- Group Case Study/Policy Analysis (40%)
- Article critique (maximum 1500 words) (30%)
- Presentation on CS/PA (30%)