- Minerals and the Materials Cycle
- Welcome to Planet Earth
- Basic Geological Principles and the Dynamic Earth
- Mineral Resources
- The Minerals Industry
- Comminution and Mineral Processing
- Individual Commodities
- Occupational Safety and Health (OH&S)
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
Knowledge of physical sciences at senior high school level is assumed.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as EXM131 Introduction to the Minerals Industry (Previously: Introduction to Extractive Metallurgy).
The Earth's origin and dynamic nature are explored within the context of plate tectonics, mineral deposits and ores found within its crust. Practical demonstrations of mineral and rock identification and technologies used in mineral processing and extractive metallurgy to recover metals, alloys and value added commodities from ores are presented in laboratories. Major unit operations of mineral processing, pyrometallurgical and hydrometallurgical flowsheets, financial management, occupational health and safety, sustainability and environmental aspects in the local/global mineral industry are discussed.
- Assignment 1 - Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Assignment 2 - Assignments (20%)
- Assignment 3 - Mid-term Test (30%)