Introduction to Earth Sciences
Chart Earth’s origins and its dynamic core functions. Study plate tectonics and processes operating from or within the Earth’s crust. Discover the causes of earthquakes, volcanoes, weathering, deformation and erosion. Identify minerals and rocks.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- define and use correctly a wide range of descriptive and technical geological terminology
- discuss cogently the overarching theory of plate tectonics as it pertains to various aspects of the Earth's processes
- comprehend and be able to explain the model of the internal structure and energetics of the Earth
- understand the origin and (chemical and physical) properties of common minerals
- understand and apply Geological Time scales and the classification of rocks by age
- understand and explain the importance of sedimentary processes and accumulation on regional geological classification
- describe the origins and interpret the outcomes of crustal force stresses
- understand and describe the origins, occurrence and extraction of groundwater
- explain the processes that result in magmatic rock
- understand the origins and significance of metamorphic rocks.
- Planet Earth
- Dynamics of the crust
- Movement of material
- Earthquakes and Earth's interior
- Deformation of rocks
- Weathering and soils
- Metamorphic rocks
- Sedimentary rocks
- Magmatic rocks
- Geological time
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Audio-Video streaming
Exposure to at least school-level science and mathematics is required.
No special requirements
- 4 Assignments & Online Quizzes (40%)
- 1 Written Test (10%)