- Topic 1: The individual and the community
- Topic 2: Violence
- Topic 3: Truth and representation
- Topic 4: The good life
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
It is recommended that an SSK subject be completed before commencing this subject.
No special requirements
This subject explores the power of ideas to change the world, focusing on their birth, transmission, evolution, and global impacts.
Through the study of selected themes, such as violence or the relationship between the individual and the community, students are introduced to the ideas and approaches central to the arts, social sciences and humanities, and are invited to reflect on competing moral and social arguments.
Writing and critical thinking skills are a core focus of the subject.
- Assignment 1 - Response Paper: 600 words (20%)
- Assignment 2 - Online Forum (15%)
- Assignment 3 - Invigilated closed book exam (30%)
- Assignment 4 - 1500 word essay (35%)