There are no available classes. Find another subject.
Subjects may require attendance
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
At the completion of the subject students will be able to:
- distinguish between leadership and management
- evaluate, interrelate and apply the four capabilities of sensemaking, relating, visioning and inventing
- analyze the principles of leading adaptive work and the difference between technical and adaptive challenges
- apply the tools introduced in this subject to promote engagement
- demonstrate high quality communication skills, including preparing and delivering oral presentations
- work effectively in a team to achieve a shared objective.
- 'What is leadership?'
- 'What do leaders do?'
- 'What determines a leader's success or failure?
- 'What is the difference between leading and managing?'
- The Sloan Distributed Leadership Model
- Ronald Heifetz's work on Adaptive Leadership.
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
- Book of readings
- Study guide
- Welcome letter
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject proposes that leadership arises when facing adaptive challenges, locating leadership within the strategy process and distinguishing leadership from management. Traditional theories of leadership are introduced but the focus is the capabilities that an organisation needs to develop - drawing upon the Sloan Distributed Leadership Model and Ronald Heifetz's work on Adaptive Leadership. Students are exposed to a variety of activities that allow them to gain some understanding of themselves, as leadership requires the development of self-awareness.
- Critical Incidents Activity (30%)
- Group movie presentation (30%)
- Individual - closed book invigilated exam (40%)