Word Essentials: Prose and Poetry
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Develop creative writing and reading skills in relation to concepts, craft and technique.
- Plan, write, edit and rewrite creative works in the genres of poetry, short story, novel chapter, or creative nonfiction.
- Understand and use technical creative writing terms, vocabulary and narrative studies concepts in the analysis of texts.
- Analyse and appraise the work of others in writing communities.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
Admission to Master of Creative Writing
No additional requirements
In this unit students develop their writing across one or more genres including poetry. The unit encourages students to experiment with new approaches to craft and technique, with particular attention to language. Close reading skills are developed, and reflect upon and interrogate their writing processes, explore new methods in relation to craft and technique or genre. Students undertake close reading and analysis of published creative works and contemporary narrative and poetry studies. Writing workshops and discussion of the readings are structured so that students can make productive links between concepts in narrative studies and their own writing. At the outcome of the unit, students will have produced major and minor works of creative writing and extended their skills in practical analysis of narrative and poetry.
- Creative work (Minor) (15%%)
- Online quizzes (15%%)
- Participatory task (20%%)
- Creative work (Major) (50%%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.