Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
- Victorian literature and culture
- Emily Bronte: Wuthering Heights
- Poetry: Love and commerce
- George Eliot: Middlemarch
- Poetry: Madness, dreams and delerium
- Poetry: Art and the politics of representation
- Wilkie Collins: The Moonstone
- Poetry: Rebellion and transgression
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: A Study in Scarlet
- Charles Dickens: Oliver Twist
- Rudyard Kipling: Kim
- Poetry: Transcendence, sex and death
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This unit was previously known as ENG320 Victorian Literary Culture.
This unit is designed to introduce the many facets of literary culture that comprise Victorianism in the modern academy. Beginning with the question of what it is to be Victorian, the unit will survey a diverse selection of literary texts and explore their relationship to the central artistic, political and cultural debates endemic to the Victorian age. The unit explores such issues as the emergence of popular forms of literature, the intersection between political engagement and literary production and the connection between literary discourse and the development of women's rights.
- Critical Essay (35%)
- Research Essay (45%)
- Participation (20%)
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in English
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Society and Culture
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing