Trace the obsession with race and empire across Europe. Register the impact of fascism and communism. Learn about the wars that wracked the first half of the century. Watch as the continent embarks down a road of political, cultural and social change.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will:
- have gained a sound understanding of European history in the twentieth century from a political, military, social and cultural perspective
- have come to appreciate the key turning points in this history
- have developed an understanding of the major political movements of the twentieth century
- have developed solid skills in historical research and investigation, while thinking analytically and creatively about problems.
- The First World War
- The Russian Revolution and Stalin's Russia
- Fascist Italy
- The Spanish Civil War
- Weimar and Nazi Germany
- The Second World War
- The Holocaust
- The Cold War and the fall of communism
- Issues of migration and race in post-war Europe
- Terrorism in postwar Europe
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You should have studied some History or Politics at Level 1 and 2 before starting this subject.
No special requirements
- Take Home Exam (30%)