The Hellenistic Age
Follow in the footsteps of Alexander the Great as he marched through history. Start at his invasion of the Persian Empire and end with his successors heralding the Roman Empire. Examine the cultural history of the eastern Mediterranean as you go.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Jul 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will:
- Have basic knowledge of the key events which occurred during Alexander's invasion and in the period of the Successor Kings
- Have gained an understanding of the key cultural developments in the Successor Kingdoms from the Third Century BC to the First Century BC
- Have also gained an understanding of the impact of the emerging Roman Empire in the eastern Mediterranean and in turn the effects that these eastern imperial acquisitions had on Roman culture
- Be able to critically analyse the literary, epigraphic and archaeological evidence for this period.
- In the footsteps of Alexander
- Alexander and the army; sources on Alexander's reign
- Alexander's motives; modern interpretations of Alex
- Coinage of Alex the Great; succession crisis
- Monarchy and religion ruler cult
- The Seleucid Kings; the Antigonids
- The Ptolemies; the Hellenisation process
- Seleucid Dura Europos
- Hellenistic philosophy and political protest
- Potters Oracle and Egyptian resistance to Ptolemaic rule
- Anti-Hellenic reaction in Palestine
- Rise of Parthian Empire and the Hellenistic world
- Hellenistic religion
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must complete Level 1 and 2 studies in Ancient History before starting this subject.
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as AHIX241 Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic Age and AHIX341 The Hellenistic Age.
- Assignment 1 (25%)
- Assignment 2 (30%)
- Non-Invigilated Exam (35%)
- Online Discussion (10%)
Textbook information is pending.