Teaching the Arts
Your upfront cost: $0
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful completion you will be able to
- Critically analyse and develop an appreciation of the expert body of knowledge skills and understandings in each of the four art form areas.
- Analyse and apply knowledge of research-based pedagogies associated with the learning and teaching of The Arts in Early Childhood and K-6 settings.
- Apply skills and technical understanding of The Arts in the making of their own creative works.
- Critically reflect on materials, resources and repertoire that underpin creative arts learning within the context of cultural traditions in each art form.
- Demonstrate specialist expertise in planning integrated creative arts learning/lesson sequences, aligned with curriculum outcomes for The Arts and other Key Learning Areas in Early Childhood and K-6 contexts.
- Synthesise unit content and research to formulate and articulate evidence-based personal and professional perspectives on the pivotal role of The Arts in education.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
NCCW (2020 and onwards) ECHX8280 Creativity and the Arts: Contemporary Perspectives Co-requisite : ECHX6030 or EDSX8200
No additional requirements
This subject is designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills and understandings necessary to implement The Arts in Early Childhood and K-6 contexts. Students will investigate current specialist pedagogies as a basis for developing personal approaches to the provision of early childhood arts education. Lectures and workshops will guide students through theoretical and practical approaches to arts pedagogies in dance, drama, music, and visual arts, developing appropriate teaching and assessment strategies. Students will examine approaches to integrating The Arts across other key learning areas. This unit focuses on the pivotal role of The Arts in the lives of children. Students are provided with opportunities to enhance their capacity to use diverse resources that underpin high quality arts education. The unit provides a forum through which to critique contemporary issues in arts education, drawing on current research in education and allied fields. Students will also explore the role of community and professional arts organisations, such as museums, galleries, and performing arts companies, in providing opportunities for children to gain experience and appreciation of the art forms.
- Planning for authentic integrated arts learning (40%)
- Independent Arts Investigation (30%)
- Creative Performance (30%)
Current study term: 24 Jul 22 to 06 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.