Studying the Past from the Bronze Age to Byzantium
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jul 2021
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to
- Engage with contemporary cultural perspectives and practices to contextualise historical knowledge from antiquity
- Explain the principles a processes by which historical and/or archaeological evidence from ancient Greece, Rome and Late Antiquity is analysed, evaluated and interpreted.
- Examine and critically evaluate historical data with initiative and judgement by presenting evidence based exposition of knowledge and ideas about the study of antiquity.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
The first half of the session will introduce students to research projects led by staff in the Discipline of Ancient History. This will introduce students to the role of research in the development of the discipline of Ancient History spanning the full range of Greek and Roman History from the Bronze Age to the Late Antiquity and the Byzantine emperors. The second half of the unit will focus on the relevance of the discipline of ancient history to contemporary experiences and how the contemporary world shapes approaches to Ancient History. The unit will end with discussion of the future of Ancient History.
- Blog 1 Research Project (20%)
- Writing as an ancient author (40%)
- Blog 2L Ancient History - The Importance of Studying the Past (40%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in English
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing
- Major in Indigenous Studies
- Major in International Relations
- Major in Applied Ethics