- Introduction to Qualitative Research
- Is Qualitative Research a Science?
- Designing Qualitative Research
- Research Ethics and Politics
- Different Approaches to Qualitative Observation as a Method
- The Interview Technique
- The Interview in Practice
- Focus Groups
- Visual Analysis, Visual Techniques and Task-oriented methods
- Introduction to Qualitative Analysis
- Grounded Theory
- Discourse Analysis
- Writing and Wrapping Up
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Assignment 1 - Assignment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 - Assignment 2 (30%)
- Assignment 3 - Participation (10%)
- Assignment 4 - Research Assignment (40%)
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a subject
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as SGY888 Qualitative Methods.
This subject provides students with an opportunity to develop practical skills collecting, analysing and presenting data to address essential research questions. The subject introduces participants to a wide range of qualitative research methods, including observation, participant observation, interviewing, the use of focus groups and unobtrusive research methods. Students will also learn how to organise and analyse qualitative research data. The subject adopts a hands-on approach to provide an opportunity to develop research skills and a critical perspective of the research process itself.