Political Thought in Action
Propose and develop a major research project exploring a key area of political action. Conduct thorough research using a host of investigation methods. Workshop ideas with your supervisors and peers. Build your argument into an engaging written essay.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will have:
- identified a potential research area and developed a proposal to engage in this research
- undertaken independent learning and research throughout the study period
- worked with other students enrolled in the subject to offer critical yet constructive comments on the work of others considered in the workshop components of the subject
- analysed various sources in the light of a chosen research topic
- used a wide range of digital and written resources related to the chosen essay topic and appropriately acknowledge these resources
- produced a major Research Essay reporting on the research undertaken and providing a well-supported argument for the student's perspective
- engaged constructively in workshops related to the development of research skills.
- Identification of a research area
- Formulation of a research question
- Engaging in Research
- Formulating a Research Proposal
- Presentation of a Research Proposal
- Discussion on writing skills
- Preparation of a Work in Progress Report
- Submission of a draft essay and the incorporation of feedback
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
POIX399 is a capstone subject and should be one of the last subjects taken for a major in this field of study.
- OtherDetails -
Students need to be ready to start this course from Week 1 with a research topic already identified. This topic should be one that builds on a topic area from a previous course. Students are expected to locate their own sources and documentary material.
- Research Essay (60%)
- Workshop & Discussion (10%)
- Research Proposal (10%)
- Work in Progress Report (20%)