- The strategic, tactical and operational levels of national security
- The role of law enforcement and intelligence organisations in protecting the state from domestic and foreign threats
- The history of intelligence
- The key agencies in the Australian intelligence community
- The intelligence cycle and its application and the interplay between policing and intelligence.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 subjects or other relevant experience.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as PICX210 Homeland Security: Intelligence and Law Enforcement.
This subject provides an introduction to the fields of intelligence and counterintelligence. It focuses on the strategic, tactical and operational levels of national security, as well as the role of law enforcement and intelligence organisations in protecting the state from domestic and foreign threats. Students will gain a deep understanding of the history of intelligence, the key intelligence agencies in Australia, the intelligence cycle and its application, and the interplay between policing and intelligence. Students will engage with key case studies from around the world to further understand these issues and dynamics. The subject complements PICX211, which focuses on government strategies for ensuring national security.
- Assessment 1 (30%)
- Assessment 2 (40%)
- Assessment 3 (30%)
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Arts Security Terrorism and Counter-terrorism
- Part I (Level 1) Core units - Major
- PART II (Level 3) Core units - Major
- PART II (Level 2) Core units - Major
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in English
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Society and Culture
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in Community Development
- Major in International Aid and Development
- Major in Security, Terrorism and Counter-terrorism
- Major in Sustainable Development