Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
- Atoms to cells
- Cells in action
- Body Bits: Metabolism and Human Organ Systems
- Getting it Together: The Human Individual
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This unit deals with human biology and the interactions of humans with the rest of the living world. Topics include: human genetics, anatomy, physiology, reproduction, and evolution. Attention is paid to topics of current interest, such as emerging diseases, DNA technology, genetic engineering, cloning, and the impact of human activities on biodiversity and the biosphere. The unit is designed for students with no background in biology, however students whose area of study is biology are also encouraged to attend.
- Assignment 1 - 200 word statement (2%)
- Assignment 2 - reference list (8%)
- Assignment 3 - 2000 word essay (25%)
- Assignment 4 - Invigilated exam (50%)
- Assignment 5 - Weekly Quizzes (15%)
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a subject