Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Early Childhood Postgraduate Internship
Refine your role as an early childhood teacher during a 30-day placement, 3 days a week over 10 weeks. Collaborate with children, parents and staff, and consider the context of the centre and characteristics of the children, families and community
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 27 Jul 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Refine their teaching practices as an early childhood teacher
- Take responsibility for their own learning
- Develop confidence in justifying their professional decision making
- Demonstrate a depth of knowledge about selected areas of professional practice
- a) Professional Experience (the internship)
- b) Written assessment: Professional Portfolio = 8 Sections (1200 -1400 words each)
- Section 1: Who am as I a teacher?
- Section 2: Learning Envirnonment
- Section 3: Relationships with children
- Section 4 :Planning for learning
- Section 5 : Relationships with families
- Section 6 :Relationships with professional colleagues
- Section 7 : Taking on a leadership role
- Section 8: Reflections on the internship
- Two written work-in- progress reports before the submission of the whole portfolio. The whole unit is built around these topics.
- c) Professional Journal: Your journal is your personal record of professional decision-making and you are not required to share your journal.
- You may, however, choose to share selected pages in your discussions with your support team (mentor and supervisor).
- Journal entries will not be assessed, you share your ideas and concerns with other students on line.
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
MAQ-ECHX603-Early Childhood Professional Practice 1, or MAQ-ECEX603 , or MAQ-ECHX6030-Early Childhood Professional Practice 1 and MAQ-ECHX825-Early Childhood Professional Practice 2, or MAQ-ECEX825 ;
- PlacementDetails - A 30 day placement is to be completed as three days a week over ten weeks. Students may complete the internship requirements in their own workplace where appropriate
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX829 Early Childhood Postgraduate Internship.
This subject enables students to refine their roles as early childhood teachers. During the internship students will have opportunities to strengthen their autonomy and independence as a teacher of young children as they explore their role within the centre and its local community. With increasing confidence, students will be able to justify their decision making as a teacher responding to the challenges of daily work in an early childhood centre. The internship contains a 30 day placement to be completed as three days a week over ten weeks. Students may complete the internship requirements in their own workplace where appropriate.
Students have to create a professional portfolio with 6 sections based on their internship and supported by academic literature. The portfolio has to be submitted electronically.
- Professional Portfolio (100%)
- Prof. Exp - un/satisfactory (0%)
Textbooks are not required.