Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Early Childhood Postgraduate Internship
Refine your role as an early childhood teacher during a 30-day placement, 3 days a week over 10 weeks. Collaborate with children, parents and staff, and consider the context of the centre and characteristics of the children, families and community
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online & on-campus
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Undertake candid self-assessment of progress towards both the unit learning outcomes and the Professional Teaching Standards
- Identify the importance of socially just practices associated with educational settings for children, families, and community
- Critically evaluate and utilise relevant theoretical and research literature to support teaching decisions
- Synthesise knowledge and skills development throughput the program in a teaching performance assessment
- Implement the requirements of the relevant statutory processes in relation to early childhood curriculum
- Communicate effectively as ethical, reflective and informed teachers when working with colleagues, children, families and other education and community stakeholders.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics in this unit will be provided in the study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-ECHX829-Early Childhood Postgraduate Internship (No longer available)
- MAQ-ECEX829 (Not currently available)
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- MAQ-ECHX825-Early Childhood Professional Practice 2 (No longer available)
- MAQ-ECEX825 (Not currently available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units) ECED829, ECEX829, ECHX829 NCCW ECHE8290 Early Childhood Postgraduate Internship
- Placement requirements - Macquarie University operates under a ‘Fitness to Practice’ model as specified in the University's Academic Progression Policy. For this Unit, this means that, when undertaking a placement, a student is declaring that they are able to demonstrate professional competence, acceptable professional behaviour, freedom from impairment, and compliance with program-specific requirements needed for a student to practice properly and safely throughout their Practical, Clinical or Professional program or unit. It is the responsibility of the student to determine whether they are fit to undertake a placement. Therefore, if a student is feeling unfit to undertake a placement, they should not do so. For more information see https://staff.mq.edu.au/work/strategy-planning-and-governance/university-policies-and-procedures/policies/academic-progression A Working with Children Check or State/Territory equivalent is required by the end of Week 3 to be eligible for a placement. Students may need to withdraw from this unit if this has not been obtained in time.
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX829 Early Childhood Postgraduate Internship.
This subject enables students to refine their roles as early childhood teachers. During the internship, students will have opportunities to strengthen their autonomy and independence as a teacher of young children as they explore their role within the centre and its local community. With increasing confidence, students will be able to justify their decision making as a teacher responding to the challenges of daily work in an early childhood centre. The internship contains a 30 day placement to be completed as three days a week over ten weeks. Students may complete the internship requirements in their own workplace where appropriate.
The professional portfolio is the major written assignment for ECHX8290. It will focus on the questions: What does being a teacher mean to me? Approx 9000 words.
- Professional Portfolio (100%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.